Sunday, June 19, 2011

So Many Questions

I  have so many questions and so few answers.  A visually impaired white male is someone quite different from me.  My first thought is that I assume it would be a huge undertaking for him to decide to attend college.  I have very little understanding of what his world is like.  I also have the impression that not many students with visual impairments decide to tackle college because of the challenges. 

I wonder about the following:

How does he interpret the events in his life?  I am such a visual person.  It's hard for me to imagine not being able to receive information in that way.

Did he always know that he wanted to go to college? 

What is important to him when considering a college to attend?

Does he have a desire to live on campus and does the option of living in a residence hall exist for him?

How will he navigate campus?

What types of modifications will be made for him in his classes? 

Are his instructors prepared to handle his disability?  How does he educate them?

What does he enjoy doing?  What are his hobbies and interests?

What social activities does he enjoy?  Does he listen to tv shows that I watch?

Does he date or have a girlfriend or partner?  If so what things does he enjoy doing with him/or?  In phrasing this question, I initially phrased it asking if he had a girlfriend and after my first week in the CSP program I realized that he may have a partner of the same sex vs. a girlfriend.

Does he consider himself more of an introvert or an extrovert?  Is it difficult for him to make friends? 
How does he handle shopping for what he needs or wants? 

Are his other senses enhanced (i.e. taste, smell, hearing, and touch)?

I look forward to learning more about Drake this semester.  And my assumption is that more and more questions will continue to surface once I meet him face to face and get to know him better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment