Monday, June 27, 2011

Am I really blind? & Points of Courtesy When Talking to Someone Who is Visually Impaired / Blind

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB) has created a great resource page on their website called "Straightforward Answers About Blindness."  I found a different answer to a question I had asked myself earlier about whether or not their is a difference between someone who is visually impaired or blind.  I am finding that it depends on who you ask.  The NFB website stated that some people use terms such as visually impaired or low vision instead of blind. The NFB uses the term blind for all people, regardless of their visual acuity, who need to use alternative techniques to accomplish the same thing that a sighted person can do using eyesight.  Individuals experiencing severe vision loss may find it helpful to learn some non-visual ways of accomplishing everyday tasks, if they are struggling with visual methods.  It is estimated that only 20 percent of blind people are totally blind.  Most blind people have some remaining vision.  The legal definition of blindness is visual acuity of not greater than 20/200 in the better eye with correction or a field not subtending an angle greater than 20 degrees. In everyday language this means that a blind person sees about 10 percent of what a sighted person can see.  I wonder if it bothers Drake that there is not a clearly agreed upon definition of blindness?  Does he sense the need to explain to others the exact level of his visual impairment?  Is he stereotyped by others based on their own personal definition about what it means to be visually impaired or blind?  I always assumed that if you used a cane or had a guide dog you were definitely considered blind.  I now think that assumption could be risky. 

Another question I was intrigued by on the website was "Are there any points of courtesy that will encourage sighted people to feel comfortable and at ease around me?"  I read over the list that the National Federation of the Blind referred to as "Courtesy Rules for Blindness."  I think this will really be really helpful when I actually get the opportunity to meet Drake in person.  In summary, here are some of the key points I took from reading over the material. 

* Someone who is blind is an ordinary person, but they are just blind. You don’t need to raise your voice or address the person as if they were a child. They also want you to talk to them and ask them questions directly and not direct questions for them to their companion. 
* A person who is blind may use a long white cane or a guide dog to walk independently.  Also, they  may ask to take your arm. Let them decide and don't grab their arm.  Instead, let me take yours.
* A person who is blind wants to know who is in the room with them. Speak when you enter. Introduce the person to others in the room, including children, and tell me if there’s a cat or dog present.
* The door to a room or cabinet or a car left partially open is a hazard someone who is
* At dinner, do not assume that a blind person will have trouble with table skills.
* Don’t avoid words like “see.” A blind person uses the word, too. They say things to people like, "I'm glad to see you."
* A person who is blind does not want pity, but don’t talk about the “wonderful compensations” of blindness. Their sense of smell, touch, or hearing did not improve when they became blind.  The rely on them more and, therefore, may get more information through those senses than you do.
* When talking with someone who is blind remember that they have many other interest besides talking about their blindness.
* Don’t think of the person as solely a blind person. They are a person who just happens to be blind.

I think these tips will really help me when I meet face to face with Drake.  Am I nervous and anxious?  Yes.  I don't want to say or do the wrong thing.  The above list addresses so many assumptions and stereotypes that people who are not blind have about people who are blind.  The Voice Project is not just teaching me about Drake.  It's also making me aware of how I cling to assumptions about many different types of people.  I feel like it's helping me to see the world through a new prescription.  It's like I'm wearing an improved set of lenses.  I really like the part about the person not being solely blind.  They are a person with many different interests, hobbies, abilities, life experiences, etc. and blindness does not encompass all of who they are as an individual.  It's just one small part of who they are as a person. 
http://www.nfb.org/nfb/Answers_about_Blindness.asp?SnID=850963487

No comments:

Post a Comment