Saturday, July 9, 2011

Admissions- Does He Feel Like He Matters?


     Yesterday I went on a college site visit to a local community college.  The group I went with had the opportunity to meet with the Dean of Students.  He talked to us about the importance of one's values and having a value system that you can articulate as a student affairs professional.  He specifically spoke to an important value that he looks for in any staff member he hires to work in admissions.  He said it was critical for these professionals to believe that every individual has a right to attend college and attempt to earn a college degree.  In addition, it is important for professionals to value all forms of education from a certificate program to an associates or bachelor's degree because students come to a community college with different goals.  He added that the culture in the Admissions office and actually across the campus at large is that "every student matters."  I totally agree with this statement, but it made me wonder if someone like Drake who has a disability, has felt like the student affairs professionals he's come in contact with display this value.  Is this culture something unique to a community college or can students like Drake find this culture at a large state university or a private liberal arts school?  I couldn't help but think about the impact of words, conversations, etc.  As student affairs professionals we must choose our words carefully when working with students.  Our conversations with students have an impact and we want to make sure that our words are encouraging.  We need to offer students the correct balance of challenge and support.  Students need to know that they matter.  And to push this point further, they need to know that they matter even if they have a disability.  This makes me think even bigger picture about the idea that ALL students- no matter what their disability, gender identification, age, ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, etc.- need to know that they matter.  I am starting to see how I compare and contrast others that I meet against my values system, how I grew up, what my life is like, what I feel is important.  I need to shed this idea of me being "normal" and everyone else being "not normal" because what is "normal" anyway.  I'm beginning to understand the need to have an appreciation and an understanding for differences.  It never struck me that I didn't have a deep appreciation for others who are not like me.  It's difficult to admit that I've held so many wrong assumptions and have been so quick to judge others.  I know that this appreciation and understanding of differences in others is going to be a process.  I catch myself asking friends and family members not to say words like "gay" or "retarded."  I've mentioned the importance of giving people a chance before writing them off.  As I enter my internship in academic advising at Owens next month I want to carry with me this idea that "every student matters."  In a way, I feel as though my judgement creeps in when I look at a person and start to form assumptions based on what they look like, what they are wearing, how they talk, etc.  Again, I think of someone like Drake, who is visually impaired, and I wonder if he's less quick to pass judgement on someone because he doesn't pass judgement on what the person looks like.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment